(OPRC) Lesson 58 (September 12, 2024) | Dhammapada 30 | Bhante Dr. G. Chandima Skip to main content

(OPRC) Lesson 58 (September 12, 2024) | Dhammapada 30 | Bhante Dr. G. Chandima

 

Dhammapda 30
(Sayings of the Dhamma)

Appamāda
(Diligence)

30. Appamādena maghavā,
With (Diligence), Indra (sakka)

Devānaṁ seṭṭhataṁ gato;
Became the greatest of the deities.

Appamādaṁ pasaṁsanti,
The deities praise diligence,

Pamādo garahito sadā.

Forever rejecting negligence.

Story: Magha Vatthu


Notes:

In the Samyutta Nikaya (11:11), it is recounted that when Sakka was a human being, he made and adhered to seven vows. As a result of these commitments, he was reborn as Sakka. His vows were as follows:

1. As long as I live, may I support my parents.
(Yāvajīvaṁ mātāpettibharo assaṁ)

2. As long as I live, may I respect my elders.
(yāvajīvaṁ kule jeṭṭhāpacāyī assaṁ)

3. As long as I live, may I speak gently.
(yāvajīvaṁ saṇhavāco assaṁ)

4. As long as I live, may I avoid divisive speech.
(yāvajīvaṁ apisuṇavāco assaṁ)

5. As long as I live, may I maintain a generous and charitable mind at home, delighting in giving and sharing, and free from stinginess.
(yāvajīvaṁ vigatamalamaccherena cetasā agāraṁ ajjhāvaseyyaṁ muttacāgo payatapāṇi vossaggarato yācayogo dānasaṁvibhāgarato)

6. As long as I live, may I always speak the truth.
(yāvajīvaṁ saccavāco assaṁ)

7. As long as I live, may I be free from anger, and if anger arises, may I quickly let it go.
(yāvajīvaṁ akkodhano assaṁ—sacepi me kodho uppajjeyya, khippameva naṁ paṭivineyyanti)




Mātāpettibharaṃ jantuṃ,
 
A person who respects their parents,

kule jeṭṭhāpacāyinaṃ;
and honors the elders in the family,

Saṇhaṃ sakhilasambhāsaṃ,
whose speech is gentle and courteous,

pesuṇeyyappahāyinaṃ.
and has given up divisiveness;

Maccheravinaye yuttaṃ,

who’s committed to getting rid of stinginess,

saccaṃ kodhābhibhuṃ naraṃ;
is truthful, and has mastered anger:

Taṃ ve devā tāvatiṃsā,
the gods of the thirty-three

āhu ‘sappuriso’itī’’ti.
say they really are a true person.”







Comments